Going to the dentist is considered by some to be an unpleasant experience, each visit routinely feared but completed. Anxiety should not be part of having healthy teeth, so Dr. Parco and his team have developed a method to perform dental work comfortably both physically and mentally. When you come to the dentist, we think every patient deserves to have a fun, comfortable and educational visit. Patients with special needs are welcomed and understood by our experienced staff. For our staff, ensuring that the patient is not experiencing any negative emotion while at the dentist is imperative. We welcome individuals with ADHD, Autism, Down’s syndrome, and Cerebral palsy.
Dental patients with Autism typically have a more difficult time maintaining healthy teeth due to a number of reasons, including inexperienced dental practices or preconceived fears about the dentist.
Here are some other reasons why these special patients do not generally get the amazing dental care they deserve:
- By using candy as a tool for behavior management, it is found that children with autism face an increased risk for decay from sugar.
- Patients with autism are typically orally sensitive, making any attempt at dental work tricky, and any painful slip up from an inexperienced hand can cause the individual to fear the dentist indefinitely.
- Parents or guardians avoid the dentist because of the child’s fear of the dentist.
- Patients with autism unfortunately tend to develop chewing or biting habits that can negatively impact the health and positioning of their teeth. Regular visits to the dentist can ensure that these behaviors have as minimal of an impact as possible.
- Any injury to the mouth may be concealed or even ignored due to the preconceived fears of the dentist, it is important that upon the occurrence of any dental emergency that a child or adult see an experienced dentist.
- Correction of a poor bite is considered by some dentists as being difficult to fix, or nearly impossible.
- In any situation poor eating habits have an adverse impact on the oral health of an individual, so it is particularly important to recognize and cease any pacification eating or drinking as it is not conducive to maintaining a healthy mouth.